You may have heard about the rising popularity of celery juice and are wondering if it has legitimate foundations in science?
Progressive Nutritionists weigh in on the matter:
Celery is commonly used in combination with other ingredients to create highly nutritious, raw, fresh juices. But did you know that pure celery juice has unique regenerating and healing properties that are enhanced when it’s juiced on its own?
No matter who you are, where you live or what diet you follow, drinking celery juice will be an extremely beneficial practice to incorporate into your life.
Here are some reasons why:
- GUT HEALTH: Celery contains nutrients that promote optimal functioning of the digestive tract, and the enzymes in celery work to raise the hydrochloric acid in the stomach so that food digests easily and doesn’t ferment, contributing to good gut health.
- BONE STRENGTH: It also strengthens the bones due to the high silicon, calcium and vitamin K content.
- BLOOD PRESSURE & LYMPH SYSTEM: It purifies the blood stream, reduces blood pressure, and assists the vascular system and lymphatic system due to its diuretic properties and high phthalide and coumanrin content.
- LOWER LDL: The phthalide in celery is believed to help lower LDL cholesterol.
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Celery is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory food. Two compounds called luteolin and polyacetylenes, both present in large amounts in celery, make it a good choice for those with arthritis, gout, and other inflammatory diseases. Research has shown that luteolin – an antioxidant flavonoid – shuts down the production of a key cytokine in the inflammatory pathway by a huge 90 percent!
- MEMORY: A study from 2010 explored the link between luteolin and lower incidents of age-related memory loss. It found that luteolin calms brain inflammation which “could be the primary reason for neurodegeneration.”
- AUTOIMMUNE DISORDERS: Celery juice has been shown to be very beneficial for patients with autoimmune disease because it’s a powerful detoxifier.
- ANTIOXIDANT/ANTI-CANCER: Full of powerful antioxidants and anti-cancer compounds like flavonols, phenolic acids and furanocoumarins, celery juice has a lot of potential as a cancer fighter as well.
- VITAMINS: Celery is also high in magnesium, vitamins A and C, iron, folate and B6.
- MIGRAINES: From one of our patients, “I changed my diet drastically in addition to juicing celery and noticed that my migraines went away after just 2 days of juicing. I felt better and slept better with lots more energy after just one week.”
- OTHER INDICATIONS: Excema, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Skin conditions have all shown improvement in some patients who have consumed celery juice for a period of time (usually 30 days).
“I learned through this process that my skin is a function of what is happening inside my body. The horrible acne and eczema that I had for years almost completely disappeared after just a few weeks of juicing celery. They did completely go away after a couple of months. My skin has never looked better”
Basically, a stalk of celery packs a nutritious punch. The short answer is yes, celery juice does have strong benefits. The celery salt crystals are a great replacement for gatorade in rehydrating the body. In general, the most benefit is derived from drinking celery juice on its own in the morning prior to eating.
Contact us at Progressive Medical Center to see if celery juice is part of your health plan, and find out what other miracle foods out there may be the right ones to put you on an amazing plan of health and happiness! 770.676.6000