If you feel stuck in sadness or feel that you are not enjoying life, there is hope. There are many natural treatments for depression that your doctor may not know about. At Progressive Medical, we provide natural solutions to help you quickly feel better. We listen carefully to your concerns. We analyze all of the areas that influence your healthy mood chemicals so that we can design an effective, natural treatment solution for you.
What is Depression?
If emptiness and gloom have taken hold of your life, you may have depression. Depression is not a weakness. You cannot simply “snap out” of depression. It may require a comprehensive healing approach. Ongoing negative feelings ranging from general sadness and lack of interest to overwhelming despair are signals of depression. Clinical depression may be diagnosed if your state of mind interferes with everyday life.
Depression can be debilitating and may be related to other medical issues. Depression affects about 11.1% of the US population, or nearly 35 million Americans.
What Causes Depression?
Many different factors contribute to the group of signs and symptoms that we call “depression.” Physical and psychological factors can influence your state of mind. Root causes of depression can include diet, nutrient deficiencies, toxicity, sleep patterns, emotions, stress, blood sugar disorders, hormone imbalance, and inflammation. In addition, people living with depression commonly experience digestive issues. This is because the intestinal tract is home to our “second brain” and is vulnerable to emotional stress. Digestive dysfunction is an overlooked root cause of depression. If you are seeking help for depression, then your doctor should know about these possible causes of depression.
Our Integrative Approach to Treating Depression
At Progressive Medical Center, we acknowledge the complex nature of depression and support a comprehensive approach to improving your health. Our cutting-edge diagnostic testing goes beyond conventional laboratory tests so we can see a bigger picture. Your test results help us design a personalized treatment plan. This may include lifestyle changes, behavioral therapy, hormonal support, and nutrition therapy to balance your brain chemistry. Although antidepressant drugs may be beneficial for the treatment of depression for some people, they cover only one part of this complex problem. This is why at Progressive Medical Center, we integrate evidence-based, natural treatments. Natural treatments for depression can often be more effective than pharmaceutical medications or they can be used in combination with them, when necessary.
Natural Treatments for Depression
Since there are many different causes for depression, the solution for each person is unique. Drug treatments are often ineffective and come with a long list of unpleasant side effects. This is why functional medicine is the ideal choice for treatment. At Progressive Medical, we look for underlying causes that are commonly overlooked by conventional medical practitioners. Based on our comprehensive assessment, we target the digestive system, nutrition, detoxification system, food allergies, and lifestyle. Our strategy helps many people who have tried other approaches without success.
Natural treatments for depression may include:
- Digestive Support – Your intestinal tract is home to the enteric nervous system, also known as our “second brain.” This is where many of your brain chemicals are produced. In fact, 95% of serotonin is produced in your intestinal tract. Low serotonin is linked to depression. Therefore, we support your digestive system to optimize your brain health.
- Diet – The food we consume plays an important role in how we feel emotionally. At Progressive Medical Center, our providers work with you to make sure your diet is adequate for balancing biochemistry. Proteins, vitamins, and minerals are essential for building the brain chemicals that balance your mood. We often recommend food sensitivity testing because certain foods can irritate your immune system, causing fatigue, sadness, and even attention disorders.
- Nutrition – In addition to making the right dietary choices, your state of mind can be affected by your nutrient status. Amino acids, B vitamins and vitamin D build your brain chemicals and without them, your mood can suffer. At Progressive Medical Center, our sophisticated testing can uncover your specific nutrient deficiencies as well as measure your neurotransmitter levels. With this information your doctor can restore your brain chemistry.
- Hormones – Low levels of hormones can make you feel tired, sad, and worn out. Chronic stress can throw your hormones out of balance and leave you exhausted and unable to participate in life. It is common for hormonal imbalances to prompt emotions of sadness and depression, especially in women. We can test and balance your hormones to help you cope with stress and feel light-hearted again.
- Detoxification – Many people with depression have accumulated toxins in their bodies that can affect their mental health. Toxins can damage the brain and interfere with communication in the nervous system. Our team guides you through a safe and effective detoxification program designed to get the bad stuff out of your body to improve your brain power.
- Exercise – Exercise releases feel-good chemicals. Adding enjoyable exercise can be highly effective for improving mood and outlook. Our trainer will develop an exercise plan based on your likes, dislikes, and current level of fitness.
- Massage – Massage therapy can be a beneficial part of an integrative treatment for depression. It can help you relax, relieve muscular tension, and feel empowered about taking care of yourself.
- Chiropractic Care – Your chiropractor may be able to improve your mood by correcting structural misalignments. The alignment of your spinal column permits your brain and all the nerves in your nervous system to communicate. Poor posture, motor vehicle accidents, grinding your teeth during sleep, chronic muscle tension, or other musculoskeletal injuries can contribute to misalignment in your spine and neurological symptoms. Specialized adjustments tailored to your needs can often increase circulation and improve mood.
If You Would Like to Investigate Natural Ways to Relieve Depression, Call Progressive Today.
If you would like to learn more about Progressive Medical’s integrative approach to treating depression, please call us today. To schedule an appointment at one of our Atlanta-area locations, call 1-770-676-6000.