Memory- Cognitive Problems
The brain is capable of producing new brain cells at any age, so significant memory loss is not an inevitable result of aging. But just as it is with muscle strength, you have to use it or lose it. Your lifestyle, health habits, and daily activities have a huge impact on the health of your brain. Whatever your age, there are many ways you can improve your cognitive skills, prevent memory loss, and protect your grey matter.
Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI)
Mild Cognitive Impairment is considered a thinking skill, limited to a specific set of problems, such as memory. Concentration, mental quickness, and attention are also signs of MCI. Mild Cognitive Impairment does not prevent someone from carrying out everyday tasks or engaging socially with friends and family.
However, for many people, this condition may lead to dementia or even Alzheimer’s disease.
In order to treat and reduce symptoms of MCI, neurotherapy, supplements, dietary changes, and other treatments are generally recommended by our physicians to help you get back many vital functions of the brain that cognitive impairment diminishes.
Forgetfulness is a common complaint among older adults. You start to talk about a movie you saw recently when you realize you can’t remember the title. You’re giving directions to your house when you suddenly blank on a familiar street name. You find yourself standing in the middle of the kitchen wondering what you went in there for.
Memory lapses can be frustrating, but most of the time they aren’t cause for concern. Age-related memory changes are not the same thing as dementia. It may be an indicator that the brain could use a jumpstart, however.
Brain Training (Neurotherapy)
If you suffer from memory loss, cognitive impairment, or even conditions such as ADHD, neurotherapy may be an important part of their treatment. Neurotherapy is also known as brain training. Neurotherapy can help train your brain to function at its peak performance.
First, we will measure important brain and heart functions which reveal the areas of the brain that are not performing optimally. Then, your doctor will tailor a brain training treatment regimen to target those areas. The treatment is simple and painless. Many patients even find it relaxing. The best part of brain training is the lack of drugs!
Brain Mapping is a safe and effective technology that allows doctors to measure specific brain functions and then provide a personalized care strategy for you.
Alzheimer’s & Dementia
“I would say his memory and cognitive function is at least 50% better after brain training. It’s so wonderful to see such an improvement and have his consciousness back!” – Progressive Patient’s Wife
Progressive Medical Center delivers the best in Alzheimer’s Treatment. By combining medical expertise with technology & nutrition, we work to identify the underlying causes of cognitive decline, then guide your doctor and support team in correctly treating them. We also work preventatively with patients to mitigate and push off Alzheimer’s symptoms.
Onset & Symptoms
Today, 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease – 5.2 million aged 65 and over. By 2050, as many as 16 million Americans will have the disease. Two-thirds of those with the disease are women. Of Americans aged 65 and over, 1 in 8 has Alzheimer’s, and nearly half of people aged 85.
Some symptoms you may be familiar with include:
• Memory loss, especially of recent events, names, placement of objects, and other new information
• Confusion about time and place
• Struggling to complete familiar actions, such as brushing teeth or getting dressed
• Trouble finding the appropriate words, completing sentences, and following directions and conversations
• Poor judgment when making decisions
• Changes in mood and personality, such as increased suspicion, rapid and persistent mood swings, withdrawal, and disinterest in usual activities
• Difficulty with complex mental assignments, such as balancing a checkbook or other tasks involving numbers
What can you do to protect the brain? Reduce Brain Inflammation! To begin, here are 5 steps toward a healthy mind:
1. Eat plenty of Flavonoids. How about blueberries, green tea, cocoa, celery, and curcumin/turmeric. These are super foods. Also high on the ORAC value (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity) A measurement of anti-oxidants. They help to reduce inflammation throughout the body, including in the brain
2. Eat health fats. The brain is reliant on healthy fats to function properly. These include healthy Omega 3’s from Fish Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, and fats from nuts. We recommend you work with a dietitian to ensure these don’t conflict with other health issues/treatments, but overall, healthy fats make for a healthier brain.
3. Test for Homocystein levels. One of the main culprits of brain inflammation is exposure to a toxic amino acid homocystein, a byproduct of protein metabolism. Too much can weaken your blood vessels ability to expand ultimately lead to inadequate blood flow. Homocystein can easily be reduced taking specific B Vitamins and adding green leafy vegetables. Vitamin B 6, B12, Folic acid and TMG can safely lower your levels. Get your levels checked.
4. Decrease your exposure to pollutants. Pollutants are everywhere and are a serious factors concerning brain inflammation. Everyday items such as food and drink containers, dental products, cosmetics, hair products contain chemicals that can disrupt your endocrine system. Therefore, it is important to eliminate all chemicals form your diet and use all natural hygiene products.
5. Most importantly engage in a regular detox program. Substances (toxins) from our daily environment, food supply, and lifestyle habits can compromise our health. Natural detoxification is a constant bodily process by which the liver filters and removes these harmful substances. Our body’s process of self-cleansing also requires adequate nutrients; therefore, any macro or micronutrient deficiencies can impair this process. Guided detoxification and nutrition programs at Progressive can ensure you are doing this in the most healthy manner.
Treatment & Therapies
Our Alzheimer’s treatment varies based on individuals, as we customize the program to address the root causes of cognitive decline. We offer many unique therapies at Progressive Medical Center to treat Alzheimer’s, including:
• Guided Detox Programs
• Brain Mapping & Biofeedback
• Diet & Nutrition
• Supplements & IVs
◦ To name a few:
▪ Glutathione IV
• Inflammation Reduction
◦ Infrared Sauna
◦ Biomat Therapy
• Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber
• Ozone Therapy
Through advanced diagnostics and determining root cause, we can select the custom therapies right to treat each individual, to reduce brain inflammation and treat peripheral symptoms such as depression that can result from memory loss.
Call today for more information or to answer questions on Memory and Cognitive function. We look forward to talking with you