The causes of fibromyalgia are not understood by most doctors and there is “no cure” for fibromyalgia. With such limited options for help, integrative and functional medicine becomes a natural choice when trying to find solutions for fibromyalgia. At Progressive Medical, we look for the underlying causes of fibromyalgia. Our targets are the gastrointestinal system, detoxification system, nutrition, hormones, sleep and exercise, and natural pain relief techniques. We see this approach help many people who otherwise had no hope.
Natural treatments for fibromyalgia may include:
• Gastrointestinal Health – Your overall health and metabolism are tied to your gut. The gastrointestinal tract is where we break down food into much smaller molecules that are then absorbed and used by the body to make energy, repair tissue, and clear toxins. If there is irritation or inflammation in the gut due to poor diet, this can tell the whole body to go on “red alert,” and malfunction. Food allergies commonly cause joint pain and inflammation in the gut which can harm the whole body. An anti-inflammatory, whole foods diet will help calm down pain and inflammation in the body.
• Detoxification – Toxins damage the nervous system. Many people with fibromyalgia have accumulated toxins in their bodies that cause inflammation and pain. Our team guides you through a safe and effective detoxification program.
• Nutrition – Cells in the body cannot function properly without vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids. Your doctor will prescribe nutritional supplements to correct nutritional deficiencies you have. Proper nutrition allows the nerve cells to work at optimum capacity and can reduce pain.
• Hormones – A healthy body requires balanced hormones. These powerful molecules can overwhelm the body when they are driven too high by stress, toxicity, or poor metabolism. Low levels of hormones make a person listless and fatigued. We will test your hormones and develop a treatment to strike the right balance for you.
• Sleep Support – Natural techniques and supplements for better sleep can often help reduce fibromyalgia symptoms and improve immune function.
• Exercise – The addition of mild daily exercise and gentle stretching can be one of the most effective treatments for fibromyalgia. Our team develops a plan based on your specific needs and abilities.
• Acupuncture – Acupuncture, which is based on ancient Chinese medical practices, is one of the oldest forms of treatment for chronic pain. Several studies support the usefulness of this therapy in fibromyalgia.
• Massage – Massage therapy can be a beneficial part of an integrative treatment plan for those with fibromyalgia and may help relieve a wide variety of symptoms.
• Chiropractic Care – Alignment of the spine is important for a healthy nervous system. All the signals to your muscles and organs travel through the spinal cord. If there are traffic jams in this communication “roadway,” pain, muscle, and joint dysfunction set in. Chiropractic care can provide significant pain relief.
Fibromyalgia is a common chronic pain condition. Though fibromyalgia causes two hallmark symptoms — widespread pain and extreme fatigue — people experience a range of symptoms, including:
Your symptoms may come and go, but when they flare up, they cause such severe pain and fatigue that they impair daily function.
The cause of fibromyalgia remains unknown. However, the condition is associated with:
Fibromyalgia often occurs together with other health challenges. For example, you may have another pain syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, or inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus.